Saturday, December 9th
Your generous support is critical to the success of this, and all our community events.
Get in the true spirit of the holiday season - join us for our annual Coventry PEACE Campus Lantern Festival on Saturday, Dec. 9th.
This is a FREE event and perfect for ALL AGES...
We will be hosting afternoon workshops, an early evening lantern procession through the park & down Coventry Road, and then a holiday sing-along and snacks at the Coventry PEACE Building.
Want to get a head start on creating your lantern?
Sign up for one of our artist led workshops being held in the days leading up to the festival.
3:00 pm: FREE workshops - ALL ages
5:00 pm: Procession through the park & down Coventry Rd.
5:30 pm: Holiday sing-along & snacks back at the Coventry PEACE Building
Come early to make your own lantern… We will be hosting several workshops with artists from ARTFUL and Lake Erie Ink that will assist you in making a creative and beautiful lantern that you can carry in the procession and take home with you. Workshops begin at 3:00 pm.
Join in the holiday procession… featuring live drummers, dancers and larger than life “puppets”, we invite you to carry your lantern (either the one you made at our workshop, or a special one that you bring with you) as we make our way through the PEACE Park and the Coventry Village business district. The procession will wind its way back to the Coventry PEACE Building where we will end the evening with a holiday sing-along and cocoa. The procession will leave from the flagpole near the Coventry PEACE Building parking lot at 5:00 pm.
After the procession, come inside to warm up with some cocoa or cider and cookies, and you can join the Singers’ Club of Cleveland in a sing-along of holiday classics. Continue to work on your lanterns, or just sit and relax as we wind down this eventful day. The sing-along and snacks will begin at approximately 5:30 pm.
Be sure to join our email list to stay up to date on this, and all of our events.
Watch a video of our Lantern Festival.
Upcoming workshops leading up to the Lantern Festival...
In addition to the free workshops on the day of the Lantern Festival, you also have the opportunity to sign up for workshops led by local professional artists where you can make special, more intricate lanterns to carry in the festival, or keep for your own wnjoyment, or to give as a gift.
Lantern Fest Glaze a Lantern Workshop with Andy Denney.
Saturday, Dec. 2
Lantern Fest Workshops with Robin VanLear.
Come make your own paper globe, pierced tin or red twig dogwood/Japanese paper lanterns to carry in the Coventry PEACE Lantern Festival Lantern Procession.
Workshops are held in Robin VanLear's Art Acts studio in the Coventry PEACE Campus, 2843 Washington Blvd. Cleveland Heights, OH 44118.
- Paper Globe lanterns can be made in one workshop session.
- Pierced tin and red twig dogwood lanterns will take 2 workshops.
Workshop sessions as follows:
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 3 to 4:30pm
- Wednesday, Dec. 6, 6:30 to 8:30pm
Workshops open to individuals (Adults and/or teens) 14+ years old and to families (recommended for families with children ages 10 and up).
- Individuals - $20 - per workshop.
- Families of up to 4 individuals - $30 per single workshop.
Price includes all materials and the cost of making one lantern. Payment may be made by check or cash at your first workshop.
Sign up by emailing Robin VanLear at firstname.lastname@example.org before your first workshop. Advance registration is appreciated.
Our Lantern Festival is held in conjunction with the Coventry Land Holiday Festival. Beginning at 11 am our friends and neighbors in the Coventry Village Business District will be hosting a plethora of events:
- Bodega & The Inn on Coventry both open for brunch!
- Complete stops on their "Coventry Land" game board and be entered to win a raffle prize valued at over $500 in giftcards and swag from Coventry businesses.
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jingle Bell Shop at Grog Shop with more than
40 vendors including Shop Charlie Girl, WHIFF GOODS, Li’l Boîte Pâtisserie, Dugway Brook Dry Goods, Breadheads Bakery, and MORE. A full list at: https://fb.me/e/42MLROT0D
- Free photo ops with Santa, The Grinch & Olaf at rotating businesses with free cocoa and hot cider.
- Chili Cook-off at Made Cleveland at 4 p.m. For $10 sample all participating restaurants; snacks and a beverage are included.
- Lantern Festival Parade brought to you by Artful and Coventry
- 3:30 pm: FREE workshops - ALL ages
5:00 pm: Procession through the park & down Coventry Rd.
5:30 pm: Holiday sing-along & snacks back at the Coventry
- WATCH a video of our Lantern Festival here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zxH6zp7q4
- Coventry-wide shopping discounts!
- Big Fun Pop-Up Shop
- Storytime at Mac's Backs Books on Coventry with local authors
- After the day is done, put the kids to bed and join us at B Side for a Ugly Sweater Silent Disco!
What is Coventry PEACE Campus?
When the school district sought to divest itself from the former Coventry Elementary School building in 2017, leaving its future uncertain, the leaders of all the tenant organizations and a broad base of community supporters came together in a grassroots movement to propose ways to preserve and grow the thriving culture and service ecosystem that had organically taken root there.From this effort, the Coventry PEACE Campus came into being. Coventry P.E.A.C.E., Inc. is the non-profit overseeing the maintenance, sustainability, renovation and development of the Coventry PEACE Building, which houses several local nonprofits. It is our goal to provide an accessible, sustainable, more efficient, and affordable home for these nonprofits, and to attract new organizations to the building.